Friday, July 13, 2018

Chapter 170 - Meet the Parents


So stopping by the different guild halls didn’t take that long. The Adventurer’s Guild was actually on one of the main roads, on the way to the Crafter’s district. Stopping in at the Adventurer’s Guild was literally a matter of just showing up at the desk, updating our Guild cards, and checking on local quests. Now that we were in the Abyss, I wanted to stay for a while, and get stronger, once we sent the kids back home.

Name
Zayn Darkmore
Rank
B
Race
Hellspawned Drake (Incubus)
Status
Chosen – Sharess
Knight – Wyrmwood
Lord - Lithaes
Consort – Black Rock
Consort - Mirelth
Level
100
Class
Hexblade (Warlock)
Profession
Slave Master (Slave Trainer)
Subclass
Soulbreaker (Dominator)
Titles
The Executioner, The Sexecutioner, Corrupter, Master Chainmaker, Machiavelli, Dragonfriend, Dragon Consort, Slave Trader, Trophy Hunter, Harem King, Stud Horse, Undead Bane, Leash Lord, Dragon Summoner, Dark Ritualist, Troll Bane, Unholy Hordebreaker, To Launch a Thousand Ships, Chosen of Sharess, Silver Tongued, Lichloved, Godlayer, Demon Binder, Crusader

Not much had changed in my guild card, other than my level. Part of the reason for that is that not just anyone could get to A rank and above. You actually had to take guild tests to get those ranks, which meant that you could get up to level 200 or more and still be a B rank Adventurer. The reason for the difference was that A rank and above needed more than just raw strength and levels. You had to be able to adapt and respond to creatures that, frankly, were cheating existences that made me look positively normal in comparison.

Anyways, while I checked out the local quests, I didn’t take any yet, since I didn’t know what the situation with Kylana’s parents was going to be like. Which meant our next stop was the Crafter’s Hall and the Tradesman’s Pavilion. Both buildings were basically one stop shops for administration of the various Crafter and other Professions. There were some professions that didn’t have an office at one of the two places, but none of them were ones we had. Even the Slaver’s Guild had an office at the Tradesman’s Pavilion, allowing me to register with them, so I could get the rules on enslaving people, and could legally take, buy, and sell slaves as a business in Xanl City. The others were now able to legally practice their professions, too, which also allowed them to use the forge, workbench, or whatever the trade equivalent was, for a small fee. Not a bad system they had going on, honestly, especially since with high level gear you often needed stuff from several professions in order to get the best effects.

For now, though, we contented ourselves with simply making our names known to the locals, and we headed on to meet Kylana’s parents. Their house, as expected of the Captain of the Guard, was in a nicer part of town than the Crafter’s district, but even the kids were able to keep up the pace (though they were looking a bit tired) since we made sure to work on their stamina as kids, and hopefully help build up some attribute points through constant work. That’s actually how Locals got their ‘starting’ stats when they got of age. Turns out, before you get a class, it is possible to build up your attributes through exercise, even for Travelers. No one had figured that out until about two (game) years in, because everyone was so excited to battle and get quests that they hurried and got their class first thing.

Anyways, Iaryx led us to a large building made of Iron inlaid with gold, with obsidian accents around each door and window, and a wrought iron fence enclosing the grounds. It was very much what a palace would look like if Iron and Obsidian were the most plentiful materials around that were not the reddish-brown stones some of the lesser buildings were made of. Wood, for instance, did not seem to be a popular material, probably due to scarcity. Nodding towards the palace, Iaryx said, “Our family has held the Captaincy of the Guards of Xanl City since before what the material plane calls the Scourge, when we led the defense against the Terrors. They were less strong here, by some quirk of the plane, which meant that even though the plentiful magic of the Material plane allowed them access, they were largely toothless, so long as no one succumbed and began a cult within the walls. During those days, the Guard hunted heretics as much as they did thieves and murderers. Sometimes they were the same thing.”

Stepping through the gates, I nodded as I saw the little thief now doing yard work under the eye of what must be the groundskeeper for the mansion. She looked up at me, but I told her, “Finish your tasks, while I find out how well you obeyed my commands.” She frowned, but went back to work without complaining.

Ozmeros
Greater Hellion Male
Level 140 Dark Templar (Fighter) / Blademaster (Fighter)
Titles: Demonbane, Orc Bane, Undead Bane, Angelkiller, Blademaster, Unbreakable, Unstoppable, Doting One

Vylsya
Greater Hellion Female
Level 130 Shadowblade (Rogue) / Hellfire Sorceress (Fire Sorceress)
Titles: Demonbane, Orc Bane, Undead Bane, Terror Slayer, Angelkiller, Silent Killer, Poisoner

Kylana’s father was just as imposing as the last time I’d seen him, and apparently he’d been doing some hunting, since his level had grown over the last few years. Standing next to him was a lovely woman that clearly showed where Kylana got her looks from, though she was less bookish and more femme fatale. Neither one wore armor, though that was to be expected in their family home. I didn’t doubt that they had weapons near at hand, though, just in case.

I was about to say hello, when Kylana burst past me to hug her parents. I simply chuckled, and waited for a moment. Kylana was all smiles, and while her mother and father didn’t look entirely happy to see me, the prospect of seeing their grandkid was definitely worth my presence. Ozmeros was about to say something, but Vylsya cut in front of him, clearly showing who ruled the house.

“So, you are the incubus that summoned my daughter, are you? Well, let’s have a look at you. Take off that hood.”

I noticed Kylana giving me a death glare over her mother’s shoulder, and decided that not poking the bear was a safer course of action. Instead, I bowed to the lady of the house, and said, “My apologies, but that would be unwise. Kylana has informed you of some measure of my adventures in this world, I know, but perhaps she skipped some of the blessings I have. Because of the blessings I’ve been given, on a first meeting ladies above the age of maturity have a magical compulsion to throw themselves at me on the first meeting. Another of the gifts I have is that those who are swayed by some of my powers then have a compulsion set upon them making them beg to become my slave. Wearing this enchanted hood is all that allows me to walk down the street unmolested, stopped every few feet by a willing woman. It is something that is always on, and affects friend and foe alike, conquering even proud drow maidens. So until I’ve been in your presence long enough to negate the magic, I must decline to reveal my face.”

Vylsya blinked, and said, “Wait, that was truth, and not just my fanciful daughter being poetic about your womanizing ways?”

I smiled, and shook my head. “Ah, no. The womanizing ways is certainly accurate enough, as it goes, since I AM an Incubus, but even my stamina would quickly run dry if I attempted to walk the city streets uncloaked, and no doubt angry fathers, brothers, sons, and fiances would soon be chasing me out of town with thoughts of murder on their mind. And I believe Kylana would be the first in line to do me harm if I ensared her mother in front of her, regardless of whether it was by will or no.”

Vylsya nodded. “Well, at least she’s beaten that much sense into you, at least.” She looked over to Iaryx, and said, “Iaryx, dear, you will be dining with us I’ve already sent word to Felsea, and she and the kids will be spending the night as well. You and your men were released to ensure the safety of the outsiders while in the city, yes? Tell your men they can return after they’ve had a good breakfast tomorrow morning, as our guests won’t be venturing out before then.”

Turning her attention back to me, as Iaryx went about her commands, Kylana’s mother said, “And now, what is the deal with this little girl you sent up here from the lower city? I assume there is some reason she said she was to help out here until you came to pass judgement on her? I hope you are not one of those incubi who like to prey on the young? I would hate to have to stain my carpets with your blood while my daughter watches.”

I smiled, and said, “Have no fear of that, milady. My tastes do not run in that way. While I admit to having wide and varied tastes, moreso than most men, I do not covet children in such a way, and do not allow those who do to live in my lands, something your daughter can attest to. No, the little scamp is a thief who was attempting to pick my pocket. I placed a binding on her so that I could track her if she went astray, and told her to come here to report our coming, and that I might have work for her should she prove that she could follow instructions and refrained from pocketing anything before I got here. However, I told her that my judgement would be based on her performance and her attitude.”

Vylsya’s eyes flickered to the side, where the girl in question had just entered the house again through a side entrance, in time to hear that I hadn’t forgotten about her judgement. A small smile crossed her face as she saw that I was aware of the girl’s presence. “And why would you hesitate in your judgement? From all my daughter has said of you in your letters, you seem the type that would gladly enslave the girl, or perhaps just take a hand and leave her maimed for life, for such an offense.”

Not letting on to the girl that I knew she was there, I said, “Yes, and I thought about it, since the little one clearly had problems in judging her targets. She was correct in guessing that a newcomer to the city, dressed as we are might have coin aplenty, but she was sadly lacking in determining whether her skills were up to the task. So I sent her here as a test. As you know, I am the leader of a guild of Adventurers on the material plane, and have been granted a good deal of land by the king of the Elves. The brat has some potential, so I was wondering whether she could be properly honed into a useful tool for when she is older. But if she does not stop slinking about in the shadows over there and present herself, then I may have to give her up as a lost cause.”

I smirked to Vylsya as we heard the yelp of the girl who was trying to hide while she listened in, and turned to her as she stepped forward. “So, little one. I’ve already seen your name to be Diana Hammer. That and your mixed heritage say there is a story to be told. How did you come to be a thief on the streets?”

The girl looked defiant for a moment, before taking a breath, and said, “My mother was a succubus, who was summoned and bound by a warlock as his familiar. She was his slave in all but name, and he raped her until she bore me. When I was old enough to walk, I was forced to start cleaning his home as a servant. A year ago, he took my mother with him on a trip to a nearby dungeon. They never returned, and I have been on my own since then.”

I nodded slowly. “I see. Then your father is most likely dead, and your mother, if she yet lives, was most likely sent to the plane she originally came from, as is normal when a familiar is dismissed.” I smiled at the look of hope that crossed the girl’s face. “Oh yes, if your mother was summoned here as a familiar, then there is a chance she may live. But succubi are present throughout all the planes but those belonging to the celestials, so finding her may prove difficult. I will think on this. For now, what is your age?”

“I will be five in three months.”

“I see. Then hear my sentence to you. You will spend the next three months as a ward of my guild in the lands of Lithaes, where I rule at the behest of the King of the Wyrmwood. When that time is up, you will be tested for your class, and indentured to my guild until you reach the age of majority. There are those who are skilled in divination magics amongst my followers, and once you have your class I will allow you to negotiate with them to help see whether your mother yet lives. If she does, then we may see about summoning her to see you again. But know that this is not charity on my part. You will be worked, and hard, for the benefit of the guild, both before you gain your class and during your indenture. After that time, you may join the guild as a full member, or go your own way, as is your choice.”

I’ll admit, of all the responses I got to that pronouncement, a child throwing herself at me while she wept was not the one I expected. Looking up at Vylsya, I shrugged. “I think I broke her.”

“Yes, but we’ll see if she comes around when dinner is served. But at least I have the measure of the man my daughter is bound to now. I’ll make sure the cooks leave the poison out of your meal.”




Previous Chapter                                       Table of Contents                                     Next Chapter



Be sure to read my published works!

Frozen Soul series (Sci-Fi Supervillain story):
Frozen Soul https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R125QT
Tales of the Void Traveler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ52G37

Rules-Free VRMMO Life (Dark Fantasy GameLit):
Volume 1 - Tutorial
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VPRNDB
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rules-free-vrmmo-life-stuart-grosse/1128941349?ean=2940161995297

Omnibus 1 - Volumes 1-4
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0774T354X
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rules-free-vrmmo-life-omnibus-i-stuart-grosse/1128953195?ean=2940162052081

Into the Black (Sci-Fi GameLit):
Book I - Game Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LT5WGL
Omnibus I - Books 1-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077X2KR7Y

City of Champions Online (Superhero GameLit):
Issue I - Origin Stories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SHXQS1

Lewd Dungeon (Dungeon Core GameLit):
Book 1 - Welcome to the Apocalypse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB34DHF
Omnibus 1 - Books 1-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBPF6HR

The Kalipshae Affair (A First Contact Short Story): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0739V6R6T

No comments:

Post a Comment