Friday, August 9, 2019

Chapter 211 - Surprise Recruitment


(Conference Room, Blackstone Station, Star’s Reach)

I was going over some organizational details with General Khan about the reworking of the Black Star Marines, when Raven alerted me that our guests had arrived, a moment before the door chime sounded. I glanced at Raven, who simply smiled, and shrugged. Well, let her have her fun, for now.

At my call, the door slid open, and in walked two Ihm that I knew quite well from recent ventures, though it was odd seeing them in civilian clothes. First through the door, and barely fitting through it like the hulking mass all Ihm males were, was the former Battlemaster of the Third Legion, Jamaoak Zoxl. We’d met only briefly during the planning missions before Coldana, and again as we discussed the cleanup operations as the X’thari were scoured from that world, but General Khan had worked alongside him, and said that he was a competent, capable officer who cared about his troops, which was high praise, in my opinion.

With him was the lithe form of the former Warleader of the Second Great Armada of the Ihm Imperium, Keh Draka. Originally the second in command of the combined fleet at Coldana, she’d been vaulted into command after a lucky hit from the X’thari took out Admiral Ironbelt. She had been hard worked in the aftermath of the battle, as she worked with the Consortium forces to ensure that the X’thari threat in the sector was wiped out. I’d heard that her return to the Imperium had been… contentious.

I rose from my chair, and offered a bow, in the Ihm style. It never hurt to be polite, when you could, and it was the little things that helped forge alliances and win friends that could change battles. “Well met, friends. It has been a while since we raised our spears together. Come, rest, and let us speak as those who have shed blood together. What brings you to my home this day?”

The pair bowed to me, and it was Draka that spoke first. “I thank you for the honor, Admiral Mollen. I know that our culture is not your own, doubly so as you are a Nomad, but I will admit hearing the traditional greeting warms my scales.” She paused, and then said, “As you no doubt know, in the wake of the Second Battle of Coldana, I attempted to draft changes to the Imperium’s battle doctrine, and get them passed through the War Council.”

I nodded slowly. “Indeed. What sources I have in the Imperium mentioned that the War Council was… less than pleased at your suggestions. And they were even less pleased that you then proceeded to announce those suggestions so publicly, resigning in protest. I saw your letter that was broadcast to the news organizations. Very nicely done, if you don’t mind me saying so. The War Council has been playing defense ever since, and has been unable to craft the narrative in their favor, which has caused them no end of embarrassment. It is also why there were many who were worried about the safety of you and your family.”

Draka grinned sadly. “I may be of the Imperium, but that does not mean I cannot learn lessons from our rivals. I knew that, with the War Council blinded by their belief in Ihm superiority, they would attempt to bury anything further I said on the matter. The shape of war in this galaxy is changing, and I would see the Imperium adapt, and change with it. So, I did the only thing I could. I made it so it was impossible to sweep it under the druvan.”

Zoxl nodded. “And that bought us the time to get word to any others who might be thinking about getting out, before anyone from the Council could get to them, or their families, to ensure their ‘continued loyalty to the Imperium’. People like to assume that, because I am a male, that my brains all melted away to become muscles, but I’d long run a couple side businesses, owning a few freighters and passenger ships. Those who decided to join us were able to get out, along with their families, and take most of their wealth and possessions with them.”

I leaned back in my chair. “That’s good to hear. I’ll admit, when word came through the Nomad community that you and your people had gone missing, there was some worry that the Imperium might have ‘disappeared’ you. I don’t know if any of the governments in this world have a history of doing that, but it is something that still happens to this day in some parts of the world, usually when someone embarrasses those with power in a way that they cannot ignore. Times like these, I am all too happy to be proven wrong.”

Draka grinned toothily. “Well, I’m not saying that there weren’t some close calls, but those are best talked about over several drinks. But that leads in to why we’re here. The Black Stars proved pivotal to winning the battle against the X’thari. And, you are not a member of any of the rival powers. There are some in our group who would be far happier leaving the military to join a company in the private sector, instead of moving to the military of a rival nation. There are complicated feelings there, you understand.”

Zoxl snorted. “She means that working for Black Star makes it feel like they’re getting a new job, rather than committing treason against the Imperium. We may have left the Imperium, but we don’t wish to see it fall.”

I nodded slowly. This was something I could work with. We were, after all, expanding the Navy significantly. That meant we needed crews, and ship-board marines, and officers who knew what they were doing. “Well, as the leader of Black Star, I can assure you that your people would be welcome to join us. We just need to figure out where the best fit will be. How many did you bring with you?”

Keh Draka smirked at me. “Well, aside from myself, and Jamaoak, here, there are just shy of six thousand naval personnel formerly of the Second Great Armada and their families, as well as one thousand members of the Third Legion and their families. Some of those family members are also eager to see what Black Star might hold for their futures, given everything that has happened so far.

I’m fairly certain that my jaw bounced off the floor plating at that announcement, bold as brass. Khan whistled softly, as well. When I’d recovered enough to form coherent words, I turned to look at Zoxl. “A few freighters and passenger ships?”

The bulky Ihm broke out laughing, his amusement nearly causing him to fall over backwards in his chair. “Well, my family might own the Zoxl Passenger Lines, which was, up until we left, twelfth largest passenger service in the Imperium, and Zoxl Freight had a modest market share in the Core Systems.”

Khan smirked. “A few of my guys are Ihm, and enjoy being underestimated because of their size. It seems I’m going to have to tell them to step of their game, because those are rookie numbers!”

I shook my head. “Well, all right then. The way we had to shift ships around during the buildup before Coldana convinced us that we needed a reorganization of the fleet. A new Second Group is being formed, and has yet to get a Commodore selected to lead it. If you’re willing to take the job, then we can definitely get most of your sailors into that group.”

Draka nodded once. “I know some would say that going from Warleader to Commodore is a demotion, but, with the way that the Black Star Navy has grown of late, I don’t doubt that there will be room for advancement as time goes on. Yes, I will take up that role. I’ve seen your ships in action, both on their own and in larger groups, and I would like to see what I can do with this. But you mentioned my sailors. What of the legionnaires?”

Chuckling, I pointed to Khan. “Just as I doubt the Warleader of a Great Armada interferes with the working of a Legion past setting strategic goals for their deployment, I have found it much better to let the General here work out how the Black Star Marines are organized. I didn’t bring him in for his looks, after all, so I might as well use his experience to its fullest!”

Everyone laughed at that. The laughing just doubled down when the General gave me a middle-finger salute. Zoxl wiped his eyes, and said, “Well, I guess that’s why you and the Warl—no, Commodore get along. She also prefers to sit back and let those who are supposed to do the job do it, and stay up in her ship while the blaster bolts fly.” More laughter, obviously, as Draka gave a rude gesture in return.

Shaking his head, General Khan said, “Well, the Third Group for the Marines is already getting filled out. We had already expanded it because of increased demand. However, if we were going to go with a unit comprised mainly of Ihm, I’d actually go for something different from our normal group makeup. The designers have already come up with an idea for a Heavy Assault Transport, an upscaled version of the Marine Assault Transport. Larger ship, with heavier firepower and more troop capacity.”

I nodded. “Larger ship, will have more Marines. Support ships?”

“Increase the number of Crows to five, and roll out the modified Light Carrier design, which will give us three squadrons of fighters. Say… two Thunderbolts and one of Dragons?”

I whistled softly. “That will give them some serious firepower compared to your other groups. Will that cause any problems?”

“Nothing we can’t manage with inter-group exercises to turn it into a friendly rivalry. Back home, the Marines had the normal group, and Recon. Recon didn’t have as many toys, were sent out ahead of everyone, often without as much support. Could do similar here, except going the other way. Right tool for the job, yeah?”

“So, First, Second, and Third groups would be like swords, while the Fourth group is a hammer? Different loadouts for different jobs. Both able to take and hold a point, but we can arrange for heavier armor and weapons for the Fourth? Yeah, I can see that. Artillery?”

Khan nodded. “Oh, yeah, heavy artillery, and demolitions teams. Yeah, I can work with that.”

Apparently, it was Zoxl’s turn to be stunned into silence. Looking over to Raven, he asked, “Do they get like this often?”

Raven shrugged, “Nomads are like that sometimes. You get used to it.”

Khan turned back to Zoxl, and said, “So, you up for being a Major in the Black Star Marines, and dropping the hammer on people who should seriously reconsider their life choices? Any of your guys that don’t fill in the core of the group can be shipboard security, since we’ve got a lot of ships that will need Marine detachments.”

Zoxl shook his head, still reeling from our rapid-fire brainstorming. “Yeah, that sounds good. I just want to make sure my men are taken care of.”

I smiled at him. “Don’t worry, Major. Black Star is family. Your people join up with us, and they are part of the family. And so are their families. Taking off the ‘military’ hat, and putting on my ‘owner’ hat, there’s plenty of roles throughout the Black Star Company, if those families want to do more than just tend the home fires. If, for instance, any of your passenger liner or freighter captains want to get a fresh start outside the Imperium? Well, that’s always something I’m looking to expand on.”

Commodore Draka shook her head, before looking over to Zoxl. “And you thought it would be more difficult to convince him. You owe me fifty credits, Jamaoak.”

“Fine, fine. Never been so pleased to be wrong. Even if I’m not sure which way is up at the moment.”

Everyone laughed.




Previous Chapter                                       Table of Contents                                     Next Chapter



Be sure to read my published works!

Frozen Soul series (Sci-Fi Supervillain story):
Frozen Soul - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R125QT
Tales of the Void Traveler - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ52G37
Memoirs of a Supervillain - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R9NWS8J

Rules-Free VRMMO Life (Dark Fantasy GameLit):
Volume 1 - Tutorial
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VPRNDB
Omnibus 1 - Volumes 1-4
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0774T354X

Into the Black (Sci-Fi GameLit):
Book I - Game Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LT5WGL
Omnibus I - Books 1-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077X2KR7Y

City of Champions Online (Superhero GameLit):
Issue I - Origin Stories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SHXQS1

Lewd Dungeon (Dungeon Core GameLit):
Book 1 - Welcome to the Apocalypse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB34DHF
Omnibus 1 - Books 1-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBPF6HR

The Kalipshae Affair (A First Contact Short Story): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0739V6R6T

1 comment:

  1. ""I’m going to have to tell them to step of their game""
    that should be step UP their game, shouldn't it?

    Great going - :)
    Miles

    ReplyDelete