Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Chapter 235 - Training


 

(Throne Room, Aurum Throni, Terran Orbit)

“What do you think you are doing? Do you want me to read you down to the core? Focus, girl!”

The method of training to get the Empress’s powers in check enough for her to function was simple enough, though I doubted she’d thank me for it until later. Much later. Simply put, I forced her to play defense as I attempted to penetrate her mind. She would throw up defenses as best she could, and I would break them.

The two of us were in a black space I had the Empress conjure up in her mind. We were in the mind, so the rules of the outside world did not apply. She needed to learn that, quickly, so I had her begin with an empty space, with no walls or ground. Once she learned to maneuver and use this space, she wouldn’t be forced to rely on projections of physicality to conduct ‘business’.

This was important for a couple reasons. Invaders in her mind, if they managed to get through her outer defenses, were never going to just sit back and abide by her mindscape’s rules, like I had done on the bridge of the Purity Blade. No, physicality was useless in a mindscape unless one had the strength of will to make it real, and even then, you had to train to pull it off. Brute force could substitute for skill, perhaps, but that opened up its own problems, as that much energy and concentration going towards the environment meant that you’d be distracted (at best) against a foe who was trying to attack you. To be useful, it had to be effortless. To be effortless, you had to be skilled.

The second reason was that learning to negate physicality in her own mind would help her negating it in another’s mindscape. If you were reliant on physicality in the mindscape, then, in another’s mind, you’d be helpless as they would literally have the home court advantage, able to twist and reshape the ‘world’ around you. Again, raw power could compensate for a lack of skill, but if you were simply going to blow them away and obliterate their mind, there were easier ways to go about it. And if you were in their mind looking for information, that information would be lost with their mind. Control was necessary.

And so, with that goal in mind, we had started a sparring match. Each of us were flying about the mindspace, ducking, diving, weaving, and turning to try and avoid attacks or get an opening. It was like an anime, honestly.

I had started off slow, relatively speaking, until she had gotten a hand on the basics. It didn’t take long. Merida may have been the Empress now, but she had been an Imperial Navy officer, not too long ago. And if there is one thing that all members of any space-faring navy are taught, it is how to respond in emergencies, like when the artificial gravity is offline.

Adapting the techniques for maneuvering in zero-g was easy for her. Then, she began trying to copy my movements, as it sunk in that she didn’t need to ‘bounce’ off illusory walls to change direction or speed. Three-dimensional movement skills, combined with a quick mind and ample motivation, allowed her to adapt quickly.

That’s when the game shifted from ‘tag’ to ‘defend yourself’. I conjured what looked like fireballs in my hands, and threw them at her. I started with ones that went in a straight line, giving her time to adjust to evasive action. Then, the fireballs started tracking her movements. When she started being able to create a shield, I started upping the power.

“GAH!” The Empress yelled as another fireball crashed against her defenses, which manifested as a force-field that struggled, but held against the attack. “I’ve never done anything like this before! Cut me some slack!”

“Slack?” I scoffed. “Silly girl. Will your enemies cut you some slack if you ask them nicely? You know you have people in your empire that would gladly turn you into an obedient puppet if they could, yes? Will they give you slack? And Deus is still out there, in some form. Will it give you slack? Then we have the creatures from the chaotic dimension. Do you think they will give you slack? No? Then why are you asking it from me?”

“RAGH! FINE! TAKE THIS!” Merida roared, finally having enough of my taunting and harassment. A fireball of her own formed, several times larger than the ones I had been throwing, fueled by her frustration and raw power. Without even considering the consequences, she threw it.

I did not try and take that attack head on. Instead, I darted to the side, and was unsurprised when it began following me. Merida was no fool, and she already knew about weapons that tracked their targets. I increased my speed, using my superior control to outmaneuver the fireball which was larger than I was. It always turned to follow me, but that was fine. It was time for a final lesson.

As I looped over the fireball again, letting it pass through the space I formerly was occupying, I put on a burst of extra speed, beyond what I’d shown so far. I turned towards the Empress, and began hurtling towards her, even as her fireball followed me.

Merida’s eyes went wide as she saw me hurtling at her like a bolt of lightning, and hastily threw up a shield to keep me from hitting her. It was the expected, instinctive response, but it was the wrong one. Again, I rolled to the side, curling around Merida’s shield bubble, and coming up behind her.

Merida whirled to face me, her eyes locked on mine, ready for whatever trick I might pull. I smiled at her, and then pointedly looked over her shoulder, to see behind her. The Empress barely had time to curse before her own fireball crashed into her hastily-erected shields, throwing her backwards, and into my arms.

Looking down at the dazed Empress, I brushed her disheveled hair from her face, and smiled. She had taken the attack, meeting her raw power with raw power. I don’t doubt that it had weakened her substantially, though she’d recover quickly enough. “So, what have we learned?”

Merida groaned. “Control. Have to keep control, or bad things happen.”

“Good. Now, establish your defenses again, clamp down as tightly as you can on your powers. When you’ve done that, I think it will be safe for us to return to the physical realm. There are quite a few people who are very eager to see you, you know.”

“Ugh. Can’t I just stay here a while longer? I never wanted to be Empress, damn it! I just wanted to be an Imperial Navy officer!”

“And I never wanted to be an interstellar business mogul who owned more slaves than I could possibly count and employed many times more people than that, across six stellar polities. I was much happier being a simple starship captain, running around doing my own thing, instead of being the Admiral of a navy that can stand toe to toe with the fleets of the major powers, with all the responsibility that implies. But that’s not something I can change, now, is it? Sometimes, the universe doesn’t give a fuck what you want. All that is left, then, is to adapt to the situation.”

Merida took a breath, and nodded. “You’re right, of course. I was just griping a little. All right, how do we get out of here? I expect Lucio is beside himself with worry, even if he won’t admit it.”

“Well, you might cut the man some slack. After all, you were doing your very best impression of a reactor about to go critical for days, before I was able to reach you. Apparently, the other psy-capable individuals who tried were overwhelmed by your power, so they had to wait for me to wake up from my own coma to help you.”

“Why not simply use tranquilizers to sedate me?”

“Because no one was sure if the shots would even reach your body, but they were quite positive that they wouldn’t survive if your subconscious reacted to the attack and responded in kind. Oh, sure, you would have felt bad about it later, everyone who knows you knows that. However, that doesn’t really matter to a dead man, does it?”

With that thought, I turned my attention from the Empress, and extracted myself from her mind, keeping careful watch to make sure that her powers didn’t surge uncontrollably as I pulled back. Thanks to that, I was able to witness the Empress beginning to rebuild the defenses that had been shattered by the psychic wave and the unleashing of her own power. I already noticed a few improvements that were clearly inspired by what she’d learned. They’d need time to be refined properly, but it was a good start.

Sorcery skill has increased to rank 62/100.
+1 WIS, +1 CHA

New Title Gained!

Mentalist
You have become adept at infiltrating the minds of others, on a deeper level than simply rewriting their memories or brutishly corrupting their personalities. You have learned to interact with a creature’s mental landscape, and adapting to the conditions inside.

+100% to all resistances while inside a mindscape.

I opened my eyes, and saw that I was kneeling in front of the Empress’s throne, still clutching her tight to my chest, as I had been when I infiltrated her mind. Oh, and there were the notifications I’d gotten from training, it seemed. I heard a gasp in my ear, and relaxed my grip. Merida, blushing, said, “Oh, my. I, um, didn’t know you were actually here. I thought you were on your ship or something.”

I groaned slightly as I worked my way to my feet. I felt the pins and needles in my left leg, telling me that it had gone to sleep while I was inside the Empress’s mind. Well, small price to pay, all told. I reached out to Merida, and helped her to her feet. She was unsteady, leaning heavily against my shoulder to remain standing, but in control, with none of her power leaking through.

I heard footsteps, and turned to see Lucio approaching, along with Raven, Sheila, and two of the royal guards. They all looked much relieved. As they should be, considering that there was no longer a threat of the city-station imploding. Looking at Raven, I asked the question that was foremost in my mind. “How long was I under?”

“A little under four hours, sir.”

I nodded, and looked over to Lucio. “Tell her people that the Empress is safe and unharmed. I was able to guide her into clamping down upon her powers. She controls her abilities, and her mind, not I and none other. I have given her some of the basics, to keep her from accidentally lashing out and reducing someone to paste, but she needs a trainer in the long term, to give her the tools she needs to use the great power she has been granted effectively, and safely, both for herself and the Empire as a whole.”

Lucio nodded, but whatever he was about to say was cut off as the Empress stirred. She took a breath, end moved to the throne, collapsing into it with an exhausted sigh. Looking up at me, she asked, “Enough about me. What about the creatures from the rift? There seemed to be two types, yes?”

I nodded. “And a third type appeared in Coldana, from what I’ve been told. For now, those that remained when the rift closed have been driven off. You’re going to have to decide how to manage the information, but I’m afraid things have already passed beyond the point of secrecy. I’d recommend educating people on the dangers, of these rifts, and any like them that might emerge. Treat them like you would radioactive waste when talking about them to the people. Something dangerous, that should be avoided, in the same way that you should avoid hard radiation. Trying to suppress the knowledge at this point will cause more problems than it may solve.”

The Empress raised an eyebrow. “Why do you say that, Admiral?”

“There is a story in the world of the Nomads, about a great ruler who saw a great evil on the horizon, and worked against it tirelessly. This ruler did not trust the easily swayed hearts of men, and hid the truth of this evil from them wherever he could, using a campaign of logic and reason to combat its underpinnings. The ruler had twenty advisors who he called his sons, and yet he did not trust even them with this secret. And so, two of twenty fell, and were forgotten, and half the rest turned against the ruler, corrupted by the very forces that the ruler fought against, because they had not known the dangers presented by those fell powers. That is how the ruler’s kingdom fell from an age of reason into a cesspool of barbarism.”

Lucio nodded. “I know the story he’s talking about, Empress. It is a work of fiction, but the lessons in the story are worth remembering. Yes, men may be corrupted, but ignorance of dangers may be more destructive than the corrupting influence of those dangers.”

Merida nodded slowly, and it was easy to see the fatigue catching up to her. “You’ve given Us much to think of, Admiral. And We will thank you properly for your service, in time. But for now, We find ourself weary, and shall retire for the night. Lucio, please see the Admiral out. And see about vetting a trainer for my newfound powers.”

Lucio bowed low, “As you wish, Majesty.”





Previous Chapter                                       Table of Contents                                     Next Chapter



Be sure to read my published works!

Frozen Soul series (Sci-Fi Supervillain story):
Frozen Soul - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071R125QT
Tales of the Void Traveler - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ52G37
Memoirs of a Supervillain - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R9NWS8J

Rules-Free VRMMO Life (Dark Fantasy GameLit):
Volume 1 - Tutorial
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VPRNDB
Omnibus 1 - Volumes 1-4
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0774T354X

Into the Black (Sci-Fi GameLit):
Book I - Game Start https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LT5WGL
Omnibus I - Books 1-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077X2KR7Y

City of Champions Online (Superhero GameLit):
Issue I - Origin Stories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SHXQS1

Lewd Dungeon (Dungeon Core GameLit):
Book 1 - Welcome to the Apocalypse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BB34DHF
Omnibus 1 - Books 1-4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBPF6HR

SCI Stories (Dark Supervillain story):
Book 1 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RL93VQN

Winterborn (Dark Fantasy LitRPG):
Book 1 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082S3S3K8

The Kalipshae Affair (A First Contact Short Story): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0739V6R6T

No comments:

Post a Comment